Dave Crispin, CEO of Crispin Associates (UK) Ltd, presents the latest article on the role of MFDs, photocopiers and printers in the “sustainable” office 2021
In my previous post, I asked the question “What has 2021 brought with it, in terms of advancing the dream of a sustainable office?” “…
Well we just attended the G7 conference here at the Carbis Bay Hotel in Cornwall in St. Ives and what a backdrop! A key title of the conference was “Protecting Our Planet Is The Most Important Thing We As Leaders Can Do For Our People. There is a direct relationship between reducing emissions, restoring nature, creating jobs and ensuring long-term economic growth, ”said British Prime Minister Boris Johnson. He added: “The G7 will also pledge to cut its emissions by almost half by 2030 compared to 2010. The UK is already going further, pledging to cut emissions by at least 68%. by 2030 from 1990 levels – a 58% reduction from 2010 levels ”.
So you, me and we all have the opportunity to play our part. Let me give you an example of how you can help advance this dream in real terms by replacing these laser printers with Epson’s technology of the future now. Epsons delivers uncompromising performance with unprecedented durability gains for any adopter. There are no radiators, no aeraulic fans, they typically use 1 / 50th of the electricity of a laser, there are fewer moving parts that can go wrong and there are no vapors. ‘harmful ozone! Sounds perfect – well, IT IS!
Over the past year, Crispin Associates has partnered with a local construction company. Since the 1970s, this group has been trusted to carry out a diverse range of projects, including renovations and landscaping, construction projects, interior and retail projects as well as real estate development solutions and energy, in a variety of sectors, including the public sector.
The company has a vision that is not just something written and forgotten – every employee is committed to delivering that vision, day in and day out, in everything they do:
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
- Environmental responsibility
- Technological development
- Health and security
And that’s where Crispin Associates helped. As well as sharing the same vision, we were asked to complete a project to reduce their carbon emissions – vital for any business in the future and certainly a project that can be highlighted on their website and networks. social.
AS IT WAS
- Up to 70 individual work sites at any time.
- The site office is usually a portacabin / portacabins, single / multi-story.
- Projects last from 6 months to a few years.
- There are 5 “regional” management offices.
- A3 MFDs in most site offices and high volume MFDs in regional offices.
- All used for printing, copying and scanning.
- The portacabins have just been transferred to a new site once the project is completed.
- The MFD should be removed, often short term, before the portacabin is lifted.
- Ideally, the MFD is cleaned / overhauled before redeployment.
- Has deployed 25-40 ppm (ppm) lasers in the past.
- Some were bought directly, others were rented.
- The opportunity has been deployed where possible to reduce purchase / rental costs.
- Ongoing operating costs were billed at 4p / color page and 0.4p / monochrome page.
- Treated with a local supplier, but geographically difficult sites subcontracted by the supplier to a third party, losing control and leverage!
- Laser MFDs are heavy machines that are so difficult and expensive to move (2 or more people, per specialized moving team, each time).
- Dirty environment, therefore MFDs constantly fail due to contamination of moving parts.
- Short notice of the end of the project, therefore lack of mobile crew and therefore portable cabins often lifted with the MFD still inside – significant and costly damage usually ensues.
- Lots of moving parts leading to early failures on site and significant renovation time / cost on site and / or during a re-site.
- High cost per copy, as a high level of engineer intervention with associated parts will be required during its lifetime.
- Initial down payment.
- High carbon footprint coming directly from the device (heat, power consumption, ozone, numerous consumables / spare parts) and indirectly from the necessary ongoing maintenance and associated logistics involved.
- High contribution to landfill waste due to the high proportion of non-recyclable parts.
- Extended downtime over the life of the device contributing to a potential budget overrun.
- Frustrated users.
- Inconsistent performance, as laser MFDs are subjected to ambient conditions (changes in humidity, temperature, etc.).
- Devices replaced by new leased Epson.
- Reduce current operating costs to almost half of previous costs.
- Lighter and easier to move, no specialized crew required.
- Fewer moving parts therefore more reliability. 13 service calls in 18 months for Epson devices Vs over 200 service calls in the last 18 months for the same number of Laser devices.
- Fewer consumable parts, therefore less landfill.
- No heat so less electricity consumption.
- Low carbon footprint because fewer engineer calls are needed and fewer moving parts to replace over its lifetime.
- Less user intervention required, such as greater reliability.
- Built-in wireless, Ethernet, scan, fax and auto-report so easy to deploy, use and maintain connectivity.
- The technology will be automatically replaced at the end of the lease, ensuring constant reliability.
- Less affected by ambient conditions, therefore consistent high quality.
- The overall cost to the business, even with the fixed rental cost, was lower than previous purchased / leased devices.
- Happier staff.
- Less downtime, ensuring staff are deployed on productive tasks and helping to stay on budget.
- Consistent print quality ensures that the corporate image is maintained at all times.
- Over an 18-month period, more than 200 service calls versus less than 30 service calls.
- Potential corporate tax benefit from leasing.
- Epson devices help reduce the company’s carbon tax liability.
- Still a local supplier but with nationwide manufacturer support when needed.
Why choose Crispin Associates and Epson?
So why Crispin Associates and Epson? Well Dave has a great team and 40 years of personal experience providing and supporting cutting edge MFD technology. Epson is the “best of the best,” in terms of the manufacturer’s commitment to sustainability and a lifelong carbon vision, as well as its focused, value-driven Pro MFD line.
For those wishing to upgrade their traditional laser MFDs to a new sustainable commercial inkjet, supply, rental plans and technical support, for the full Epson Pro line, are available through Crispin Associates in the UK. Uni and Ireland.
How does Crispin Associates see it? “Everyone should tie their IT to their sustainability strategy – you can’t afford not to”! To see the CA PRINT THE AD.
It’s fair to say that Crispin Associates is different from other copier vendors, but their difference is good – and their difference makes a difference. Contact us to see how you too can contribute and get advice on MFD aspects of sustainable computing. Crispin Associates (UK) Ltd. Official and authorized UK partner for the Epson professional printing range.
Attention: This is a commercial profile
© 2019. This work is under license CC BY 4.0 license.